Saturday, January 13, 2018

Teaching Philosophy

Why Teaching? 

My passion for teaching started at a young age. On the first day of kindergarten, I came home and told my mom that I wanted to be a teacher just like Mrs. Nastelli. Mrs. Nastelli was a kind, passionate teacher who made me love learning. She showed me how exciting it could be to discover the world. During high school, I volunteered in elementary classes and knew with absolute certainty that teaching was the career for me. 


My Teaching Philosophy

"A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning." -Brad Henry
My kindergarten teacher demonstrated how one teacher can make a significant difference in a child’s life by inspiring, encouraging, and creating a love of learning. I strive to create a caring and engaging classroom environment, just as Mrs. Nastelli created for me. My own experience has made me committed to providing an engaging and inclusive classroom environment. I strive to help each student reach their fullest potential. I believe in creating a classroom where students are:
  • Taught the value of respect, honesty, kindness, determination, empathy, and individual responsibility
  • Encouraged to take risks and try new things 
  • Actively engaged in their learning and participating in hands-on, authentic activities
  • Given tools and strategies to best support their individual needs 
  • Inspired to ask questions and take ownership of their own learning by being a reflective learner
  • Encouraged to work cooperatively with others and use problem solving skills effectively